Conservatory Lab Foundation Overview
Conservatory Lab Foundation is a nonprofit organization that acts in service to Conservatory Lab Charter School in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood. The Foundation also supports the school’s partnering institution, the Center for Artistry and Scholarship (CAS). The Foundation cultivates support for each of these innovative organizations and promotes each mission and vision in the local communities of educators, thought leaders, and philanthropists in and around Boston with the intention of expanding our network of resources to create similar models around the globe.
Conservatory Lab Charter School Overview
Conservatory Lab Charter School empowers a diverse range of children (Pre K-Grade 8) as artists and scholars. Conservatory Lab focuses teaching students through Expeditionary Learning (EL), El Sistema musical education, and social-emotional wellness.
The Center for Artistry and Scholarship (CAS) promotes arts and creativity in education and serves as an outreach arm for disseminating the learning model of Conservatory Lab Charter School.
Reporting directly to the Conservatory Lab Foundation Board of Directors, the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the Conservatory Lab Charter School. In partnership with the Foundation’s Board of Trustees, this position is responsible for managing all annual fund related fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help retain and grow
funding from current constituents while forging new relationships to build the school’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Director of Development will also design and implement a comprehensive annual fund plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual
and institutional philanthropic support.
The Director of Development will have the primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to bolster the established annual fund programs, growing these critical revenue streams through the solicitation of annual fund gifts, major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. The Director of Development will expand and diversify the school’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure and even exceed annual goals as well as funding for new initiatives. In addition, the Director will partner with the Conservatory Lab Foundation’s Board of Trustees, supporting them as they take on a more active fundraising role. The Director of Development is supported by a Development Associate and a Manager of Marketing and External Affairs on the Development Team. The Development Director will also partner closely with the Director of Capital Campaign to be thoughtful in the creation of donor solicitation strategies.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
● Lead efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward current donor pool, growing support through thoughtful solicitation approaches
● Identify prospective individual donors, creating a robust donor pipeline. Cultivate, solicit, and steward these new donors.
● Oversee proper acknowledgement, stewardship, and reporting on annual gifts
● Develop and launch a formalized leadership and major giving program
● Plan and execute an integrated annual appeal campaign
● Facilitate board involvement in the fundraising process and track progress toward fundraising goals
● Support the Director of the Capital Campaign in the planning and implementation of the Capital Campaign
● Lead efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward current institutional donor pool, growing support through thoughtful solicitation approaches
● Identify prospective institutional donors, creating a robust donor pipeline. Cultivate, solicit, and steward these new donors.
● Oversee the necessary research, writing, and submission of foundation, corporate, and government grant proposals and reports
● Create, maintain, and disseminate a calendar for proposal submissions and reports
● Produce a successful annual fundraising event
● Provide direction and support to the Foundation’s Board of Trustees for annual donor cultivation and fundraising events, donor-initiated fundraising events, and all remaining fundraising/friend-raising events
● Create, manage, and disseminate a calendar for fundraising events for the fiscal year
● Oversee donor database systems and record-keeping procedures to identify and track current and potential donors and their solicitors. Record, report, and acknowledge all gifts.
● Provide regular progress reports covering all aspects of organizational fundraising
● Support office administrative activities as necessary
The ideal candidate should demonstrate the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Key skill sets include: ability to implement successful fundraising strategies, to build internal and external relationships; to plan and facilitate meetings; to drive fundraising programs toward annual goals and report out on that progress; ability to work closely with people from various backgrounds; excellent verbal and written communication skills; manage
projects from conception through completion and evaluation; demonstrated ability to prioritize and solve problems; ability to facilitate the leadership of others in group settings; and design engaging donor cultivation strategies.
Qualifications for the position include:
● Bachelor’s degree (required), MA (a plus)
● Five-plus years of progressive leadership as a dedicated fundraising professional
● Proven track record with closing five-figure gifts and elevating donor’s investments in an organization
● Grant writing experience with a proven track record of securing awards from foundation and government entities
● Demonstrated experience with planning, managing, and executing fundraising events
● Demonstrated knowledge and use of moves management to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors towards maximizing their ever-growing engagement and support
● Ability to utilize available fundraising software; knowledge of eTapestry or similar program a plus
● Experience with data collection, analysis, and reporting
● Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
● Responsiveness, self-motivation, accuracy, attention to detail, and ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com.
Job description available in PDF here.